|| Moving Tips
A trouble-free relocation requires planning and coordination. Here are some quick tips to guide you toward a smooth relocation.
Six Weeks Before the Move
- Make an inventory of everything to be moved.
- Plan a Garage Sale or charity donation of everything not to be moved.
- Get estimates from several moving companies and select your mover.
- Be sure to arrange for exact form of payment at destination with your mover.
- Start packing NOW.
- Contact your insurance agent to transfer or cancel coverage.
- Check with your employer to find out what moving expenses they will pay.
Four Weeks Before the Move
- Notify all subscriptions of your change in address.
- Get records of your pet's medical history and immunizations from the veterinarian.
- Contact utility companies for refunds of your deposit and set turn-off dates.
- Service power mowers, boat motors, etc. Drain all gas/oil to prevent a fire in moving van.
- Check with your doctors and dentist for all family records and prescriptions.
- Get your children's school records.
- Prevent loss of your valuables during move by moving them to a safe deposit box now.
- Give away or arrange for transportation of house plants (most moving companies will not move plants, especially in winter).
One Week Before the Move
- Transfer or close all your checking and savings accounts.
- Have your automobile(s) serviced.
- Have appliances serviced for moving.
- Fill out Post Office change of address forms and give to the postmaster.
- Empty your freezer and plan use of foods.
- Defrost the freezer and clean refrigerator. Use baking soda or charcoal to dispel odor.
- Arrange for sufficient cash or traveler checks to cover moving expenses.
- Set aside manuals and instruction on the home you are leaving for the new buyer.
- Remember arrangements for TV and antenna.
- Clean rugs or clothing before moving.
- Separate cartons and luggage you need for personal/family travel.
- Organize at least one room in the house for packers and movers to work freely.
- Plan for special needs of children and pets.
- Arrange to have utilities turned on at new address.
- Don't forget to remove valuables from the safe deposit box before moving day so they aren't left behind.
On Moving Day
- Plan to spend the entire day at the house. Don't leave until the movers have gone.
- Carry jewelry and valuable documents yourself; or use registered mail.
- Stay with the moving van driver to oversee the inventory.
- Be sure to tell packers and/or drivers about fragile or precious items.
- Take a final tour of the entire house (basement, attic, garage, every room). Double check closets, drawers and shelves to be sure they are empty.
- Approve and sign the Bill of Lading. If possible, accompany driver to the weigh station.
- Double check with the driver to make certain moving company records show the correct delivery address and date of delivery. Give driver phone numbers both here and in new community to contact you in case of a problem.
- Get complete routing information from the driver and phone numbers where you can call the driver or company while en route.
- Disconnect all utilities and advise the RealtorŽ who sold or is selling your house.
- Lock all the doors and windows. Advise your RealtorŽ and neighbors that the house is empty.
- Leave all keys with new owner, realtor, or neighbor.
- Let close friends and relatives know your route, including overnight stops.
- Carry cashier checks or travelers checks for quick available funds.
After You Arrive
- Obtain certified check or cashiers check necessary for closing on your new home.
- Check on service of utilities at new address.
- Check pilot light on stove, hot water heater and furnace.
- Ask mailman for any mail he may be holding for you.
- Have new address recorded on driver's license, or obtain a new one.
- Register your car within 5 days after arrival in new state, to avoid penalty.
- Register children in school.
- Obtain phone numbers for emergencies, such as fire/police, and determine the nearest hospital.
- Register to vote.